2012 vs. 2026

Research is a Mermaid's Best Friend

 Once upon a time. In a land far, far away.

Becoming a "YouTuber" wasn't all that difficult. 

Back in the old days of 2012, I made a couple of videos, applied for partnership, got accepted, reached a million views in about six months. 

Smooth sailing. The whole process was an afterthought tbh.

However, life. Life of priorities, theft of content and nosy folks all around. My channel lasted about 9-ish months. 

Closed it down.

Thought, well, maybe some other day.

Well. Flash forward to 2026. With a kid off to college now. That 'some other day' is here. 

Weeeeee! I have more time on my hands. I can go places and do things almost without a care in the world.

However, things are not quite so easy peasy as they once were.

YouTube has recently made some changes to their platform. 8,000 watch hours is the new minimum requirement before apply for monetization. Challenging, no doubt, for new channels like mine just getting started.

And the world is changing rapidly: war, disease, recession. The U.S. is going through tremendous systemic change. 

This is why I am writing this post.

Not because I am giving up, but because I plan to move forward, even if it means making changes. 

Like a change to my video content for starters. Instead of making soda pop, juice cocktails, coffee, tea etc. ... I will grab a drink to go and then get to the main focus of the video, which will be roadside signs. 

I'll also explain the reasons why I feel the need to pivot. 

1. Food Recalls - I wanted to make drinks with blueberries! Who knows what's going to be tainted next!

2. The Economy - Soda pop isn't a priority. Grocery prices are skyrocketing. Most people aren't having parties with extras. Bargain off brand soda by itself is just fine in these times. You don't need all the excessive recipes, and I don't want to contribute to anyone feeling like they have to spend money on things that just aren't necessary.

3. Teenagers - My target audience might be unintended. Originally, I thought I was making videos for moms and hosts of small events. I have realized that that teens are more likely to be interested in these concoctions, and I don't want middle schoolers or high schoolers viewing content that isn't good for them. Sugar in moderation, y'all. (I was going to make healthy drinks, but thought it'd be better to make sweet artificial drinks instead to avoid illness.)

Do I think success could still be found in having a channel about mocktails and dirty sodas? Sure, Absolutely.

The real question is, Do I want to take this path? No, not really.

....

And in the process of this new YouTube journey, I will say something else has my fancy. I have fallen in love with old, roadside signage.

I was already a fan of midcentury modern, old Americana and everything retro, but recently I've been paying more attention to the signs in my area. So much so, I have been looking them up online. I have been trying to dig up more information about them.

And there's nothing more true in this world that will remain constant: CHANGE.

There will always be change.

My channel is now about retro roadside signs. Signs left standing that remind you that things have changed, yet you can still hold onto the past. 

To appreciate the world from before, but to also embrace what is to come.

Kinda like right now. These crazy times. Did you guys see the image out of Minneapolis with a guy dressed up as Spider-Man taking a punch at another guy? I don't condone violence, but that is one heck of an image.

All of this to say, new things are on the horizon. A channel filled with travel, cherished facts and some groovy photography. I'm aware the world isn't as we want it right now, but that only means we can do what we can to make things a little better.

With that, the format will be a location, a drink purchased somewhere, a sign and a bit of content around that particular sign. 

So, let's get on the road. Ok? Ok.

Cheers!

Mail from Google, Now a Relic.

Thanks for splashing by.

Hope to see you again, soon!

MM






Comments

Popular Posts